Sunday, September 21, 2008

To the glory of God

The sermon at church this morning was living life with a mission. Jake made a point to say that when we pray, we should pray for what we want to appease our selfish desires, but so that we can glorify God.

As I started to think about it I thought that I frequently pray that God will give us jobs so that we can have health insurance and pay our bills. Basically I want to live comfortably. Jake suggested that we should pray "God, let me have a job so that I can minister to those who need you, and you will be glorified.". This was new concept to me. I have never thought to pray for something so I can be better used by God instead of praying just for me.

My wish is that the pain of losing a child we never got to know, would go away. That one or both of us would have a job so we can have health insurance and pay our bills. But I also want God to be glorified as we go through this situation. I feel like we are failing miserably at this, but I pray that at some point in this struggle God has been glorified.

This is not where I thought I would be in life right now, and I don't know the purpose. All I know is that I serve a God who is gracious and merciful. I just want my heart to be content through the trials.

No comments: