Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What Now?

So yesterday was my final day of Student Teaching!!! I know you are thinking "Why did she finish on a Tuesday...that's odd?" Well, I had a 100 degree fever and had to miss a day, and I had to miss another day because I had a seizure at the gym and had to get in touch with the neurologist to figure out why. So I had two make up days or I would have been finished on Friday, and you would be reading this post a few days sooner.

So one of the boys in my class made me lunch yesterday. He made me chicken salad with a chicken taco. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but alas...I did not have a camera. It was iceberg lettuce with boiled chicken on top, and boiled chicken on tortilla with barbecue sauce. Sounds tasty huh? Fortunately, while his mom was at HEB buying ranch dressing for my chicken salad; she also stopped at McDonald's and bought me a snack wrap and some french fries. I felt so loved by this family. All of my students wanted to buy me a gift, and it meant so much that they desired to do something so nice. This is a Title I school. That basically means that a large percentage of the student population is on free or reduced lunch (which is determined by family income). So they all drew me a picture or wrote me a letter so I can remember them. I have to say this was one of the best experiences I have ever had. My cooperating teacher was amazing and I learned so much from her and each one of my students. I wish I could teach them forever. Unfortunately, one of the little girls was absent yesterday so I didn't get to say good-bye to her. She has a rough family situation and there were many days that I wish I could have just brought her home with me. I just pray for God's protection for these kids because so many have nothing not even a parent that they see...much less two parents.

I have two weeks of class, some tests to take and I will be a certified teacher. Who would have thought that this would actually be happening? I am really excited.

WOOHOO!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Congrats! I'm so proud of you for getting through your certification!

Schuknechts said...

Yippee! I am so glad for you. It only gets easier. Next time you're in the classroom, it will be your own (hopefully, as long as they don't make you travel because there aren't enough rooms....I'm not bitter, really!)!!

Hey, wanna be neighbors? We are looking at a couple of homes in Olympic Heights.

Elizabeth said...

woohoo...you go girl!!